RESTORATION OF THE CHURCH OF SAINT NICHOLAS
- Categories: Architectural renovation, Artistic restauration, Consolidation
- Contracting customar: Ministry of Heritage and Culture – Superintendence for Environmental, Architectural, Artistic and Historical Heritage for the provinces of Caserta and Benevento
LOCATION: CUSANO MUTRI (BENEVENTO)
The church of San Nicola, at the center of the old town of Cusano, at time of its foundation (700 AD) was “extra moenia”, located in front of the “La porta di mezzo.” It became a parish church after the year 1100, through the annexation of the church of St. Anthony and the abandoned monastery of S. Maria del Castagneto. In the XII century it was the Dean Church of the University of Cusano. It has three naves, a bell tower and, inside, a stone font of the seventeenth century. It keeps a statue of the Virgin of the Rosary odated 1689 and in the sacristy there is a beautiful stone fountain. The work focused on the consolidation of arches and vaults using special resins and carbon fiber, the restoration of the wooden trusses through tarpaulin roof pitches and the renovation and consolidation of the plasters.